Female Deputy Director for DIACThe Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) has appointed Ms. Jehad Kazim as Deputy Director of the Dubai International Arbitration Center.
Facts and Figures on ICC Arbitration: Requests for arbitration down 3% in 2010
The ICC Court of Arbitraion recently released its figures for 2010 showing the following prelminary statistics:
- 793 Requests for Arbitration were filed with the ICC Court (down 3% from 2009, cf. here for 2009 figures)
- Those Requests concerned 2,145 parties from 140 countries and independent territories;
- In 10% of cases at least one of the parties was a State or parastatal entity;
- The place of arbitration was located in 53 countries throughout the world;
- Arbitrators of 73 nationalities were appointed or confirmed under the ICC Rules;
- The amount in dispute was under one million US dollars in 24.1% of new cases;
- 478 awards were rendered.
Young Arbitration Review (YAR) launched
The inaugural edition of YAR, The Young Arbitration Review, was recently published. This new publication is dedicated to international arbitration issues and trends as seen through the eyes of young practitioners and lawyers with expertise and interest in arbitration.
YAR claims to be the first international arbitration review published in Portugal and written in English by lawyers from several jurisdictions and spread worldwide. Aimed at the development of arbitration as an alternative method for dispute resolution, YAR serves as a unique tool for arbitration players to be informed and aware of the developments of arbitration from an international perspective.